Can dogs drink alcohol?
No, dogs can’t drink alcohol.
Ethanol is found in alcoholic beverages such as wine, spirits and beer.
Ethanol poisoning in dogs can be exceptionally serious. It can even lead to respiratory depression, cardiac arrest and death.
It can even lead to respiratory depression, cardiac arrest, and death.
Reasons for Toxicity
Dogs’ intolerance of alcohol comes from their size.
It takes a less amount of alcohol to intoxicate an adult dog than it does for an adult human.
Moreover, dog’s kidneys are not able to correctly process the alcohol content of alcoholic drinks.
Even small amounts of alcohol, particularly in small dogs, can cause life-threatening toxicity.
The signs of ethanol poisoning can take just 15 – 30 minutes to develop.
It depends on the amount of ethanol consumed and whether the dog’s stomach is empty or not.
After a meal, it may take 60 minutes until the ethanol enters the bloodstream.
Dog’s central nervous system is affected by ethanol.
This cause changes in dog’s behavior that ranges from depression to agitation, loss of bladder or bowel control and disorientation.
Other clinical signs are:
- Smell of alcohol on the breath
- Respiratory failure
The key to prevention is being a responsible owner and making sure that alcohol is out of reach of your furry friend.
If you suspect your dog has ingested ethanol you should seek veterinary advice immediately.