Can dogs eat cherries? Are cherries toxic to dogs?
Dogs can eat cherry’s pulp.
But ATTENTION: The stems, seeds and leaves are considered toxic. They contain cyanide which is poisonous to dogs.
Cyanide causes damage at the cellular level because it blocks oxygen transport across the cell membrane. Deprived of oxygen, cells cannot function correctly and will die.
In toxic amounts, cyanide can induce the following clinical signs:
- Dilated pupils
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle tremors
- Bright red gums
Only the flesh is recommended to feed dogs.
Remember to never let your dog eat the stems, leaves or seeds.
Cherry’s pulp is a good source of antioxidants, contains abundant quantities of beta-carotene, vitamins C and E, potassium, iron, folate, and fiber.
So you can use the pulp around the seed to feed your dog as a sweet and tasty treat.
If you suspect your dog has eaten cherries outdoors from the tree, please contact your veterinarian.
He may be able to neutralize the cyanide with sodium nitrate and sodium thiosulfate.
Moreover, the amount of the toxin your dog consumed will influence the probabilities of a successful treatment.