Can dogs drink coffee?

No, dogs can’t drink coffee.

Coffee is a source of caffeine, which is poisonous to dogs and there is no antidote.

How much caffeine is too much?

It depends on:

  • Your dog’s weight
  • The amount of caffeine ingested, your dog may only lapped the coffee or actually ingested a whole cup of coffee grounds

can dogs drink coffee

Caffeine is lethal at a dose of 150 mg/kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

For example, a cup of coffee can contain up to 65 to 100 mg of caffeine.

Signs of Poisoning

The first signs of caffeine poisoning may be noticed 1 to 2 hours after consumption. The symptoms can range in severity from mild to a severe. Common signs of a coffee overdose include:

  • Vomiting
  • Raised body temperature
  • Frequent urination
  • Diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Restlessness
  • Excessive thirst
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Seizures and collapse

If you suspect that your dog might have had coffee, you should get emergency veterinary assistance immediately.

What about decaf?

Decaf coffee is considered safe for dogs. However, if you’re going to offer your dog decaf, limit it to a small portion. There still is some caffeine in a decaf coffee and your dog definitely doesn’t need decaf or coffee in his diet.

Remember that….

Caffeine is included in a number of foodstuffs, not just in coffee. So if your dog ingested diet pills, energy drinks, a tea bag, soda and coffee ice cream or candy, the danger can be just as pronounced as if he drank a cup of coffee.