Puppies are very smart and learn fast by repetition. Your constant attention is needed for the first week of the potty training ritual. Here’s the best way to get your puppy to go potty outside.
1. Hang a bell by the door for your puppy. The bell needs to be at a height where your puppy can ring it with her nose.
2. Provide healthy doggie treats. Any of these treats will be healthy for your puppy.
Homemade healthy doggie treats
3. Every hour or two ask your puppy if she needs to go potty. “Do you need to go potty?” She will wag her tail and react to your voice but at this early stage in the training she does not understand what it means to go potty, so you will have to show her how it’s done.
4. Ring the bell and say “Let’s go potty”. Then take her outside and if she goes potty, praise her and give her a natural, healthy treat. Tell her, “Good girl”
5. Repeat the process every hour when you are home. Remember, every time you take her outside to go potty, show her the bell and ring it. We actually helped our puppy ring the bell by nuzzling her nose on the bell each time we took her outside. Your puppy needs to know the bell is meant for her. When she goes potty, give her a treat and praise her.
Our puppy was ringing the bell within days of doing this and within a week, she was completely potty trained. When she had to go potty, she would ring the bell and let us know. Your puppy can learn to go potty outside in a week too; the most important thing is your attention and repetitiveness. At first it seems like a daunting task but it is well worth it in the end.
If you have questions or comments let us know, we want to be of help in your potty training endeavor. Take care! Until next article, happy puppy potty training!