Medium breed dogs are well-known for their vigor, agility and energy, and were traditionally used as working dogs in farms.
Medium breed food formulas help these dogs maintain a strong immune system throughout their life, and at the same time they provide the balanced energy the medium dog needs to maintain a healthy weight.
The medium breeds like Beagles, Spaniels, Poodles and some herding dogs (e.g. Border Collie), fall “in-between” the nutritional particularities of small and large breed dogs.
Medium Breed Profile
Some of the more important characteristics of medium dogs are:
- Weigh 10 – 25 kg (23 – 55 Lb)
- Be energetic in nature
- Highly developed physical abilities
- Life expectancy of 10 to 12 years
- Easily adaptation to a wide diversity of lifestyles (from working farm dogs to household pets)
- The need to everyday exercise and eat a complete and balanced dog food to maintain a healthy weight
Many frequent factors can cause weight gain and obesity in medium breed dogs, such as:
- Sedentary life
- Poor diet
- Genetic predisposition
Determination of health and nutritional requirements for medium breed dogs by nutritionists and veterinarians allow the development of diets that offer optimal nutrition for these breeds.
Certain of the needs of smaller breeds should be considered, as well as some of the needs of larger breeds.
For example, some of the nutrition-related diseases of large breeds, as the developmental bone problems, do occur sometimes in medium breeds.
What are the nutritional requirements of your medium breed dog?
My advice is if you are looking for a dog food suitable for your medium dog breed you should choose a food with the following characteristics:
- Combination of nutrients that support digestive health (high quality ingredients)
- Highly digestible proteins and fructooligosaccharides, mannanoligosaccharides that contribute to a balanced intestinal flora which also promote good stool quality
- High energy content which meets the high energy requirements of medium breed puppies which have a short growth phase
- Mineral balance (appropriate calcium/phosphorus ratio)
- Elements that support immune system like an antioxidant complex and mannanoligosaccharides
In my opinion, some significant attributes of dog food composition for different life stages in medium dogs are the follow:
|Life stage||Food attributes|
|Puppy (weaning to 12 months old)||
|Adult (1 year to 7 years old)||
|Mature (> 7 years old)||