Natural Balance: Alpha Trout, Salmon Meal & Whitefish Dry Dog Formula
Natural Balance food for dogs offers a grain-free mix of high quality proteins (e.g. trout, chicken meal), fruits (cranberries, blueberries, apples) and vegetables.
This food includes garbanzo beans which make stronger dog’s bones, at the same time; it provides important nutrients for keeping your dog’s immune system healthy. The inclusion of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids aid to support healthy skin and glossy coat.
Since 2007, Natural Balance manufacturer began testing for Melamine and Cyanuric Acid in their laboratory. They utilize an external laboratory that test for additional danger elements.
Natural Balance is a human grade dog food. They employ only approved meat for human consumption, and all dog food ingredients are grown locally. All vegetables used in this dog food are certified free from genetically modified organisms.
Dog Food Analysis
- Protein: trout, salmon meal, chicken meal, fish meal, whitefish, dried egg
- Fat and Oil: canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), salmon oil
- Carbohydrates: potatoes, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes
- Fiber: peas, garbanzo beans, beet pulp
- Fruits and vegetables: potatoes, garbanzo beans, peas, sweet potatoes, alfalfa meal, potato starch, vegetable pomace (carrot, celery, beet, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach), cranberries, blueberries, apples, zucchini, dried kelp
- Flavorings: natural flavor, yucca schidigera extract
- Preservatives: mixed tocopherols and citric acid (preservatives)
- Sweeteners: absent
- Dyes: absent
- Supplements and minerals: vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid), minerals (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate), L-carnitine, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), DL-methionine, L-lysine, iron amino acid chelate, manganese, amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, inulin.
Yellow ingredients represent controversial or low quality sources. Consult our nutrient detailed analysis and find out why.
|Column 1||Guaranteed Analysis||Column 3|
|Protein||26 %(min.)||29 %|
|Fat||11.5 % (min.)||13 %|
|Fiber||4 % (max.)||4 %|
|Moisture||10 % (max.)||NA|
|Carbohydrates||NA||49 % (EV)|
|Omega 6||1.8 % (min.)||NA|
|Omega 3||0.8 % (min.)||NA|
(NA: not available; EV: estimated value)
The Natural Balance Alpha Dog meets AAFCO nutrient profiles.
Consult our article named “How do we convert guaranteed analysis into dry matter basis?” and find out how we calculate nutrients percentages on a dry matter basis.
Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids are crucial elements for your dog’s health. They are important for cognitive function, joint health and support a strong immune system and cognitive function.
Detail Ingredient Analysis
Protein: Trout is a good source of meat protein and it is rich in omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids for a healthy skin and coat.
Chicken meal is considered a meat concentrate. It is a excellent protein source.
Salmon meal is a highly concentrated source of protein and antioxidants. Like fresh salmon, it is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA).
Fish meal is highly concentrated source of protein and essential minerals, such as calcium. However it is a non-descriptive source of protein. The quality of the ingredient may be controversial because low quality fish is often used.
White fish is an outstanding protein font and adds flavor. A good quality dried egg product provides high quality proteins in a highly digestible form and is a good source of antioxidants (lutein).
Carbohydrates: Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) are a nutritious element. They are rich in fiber that can facilitate canine constipation, as well as lecithin, potassium, and vitamins A, B and C.
Potatoes are considered a gluten-free source of digestible carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes are also a gluten-free source of carbohydrates which are naturally rich in fiber and beta carotene.
Fat and oil: Salmon oil is naturally rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Canola oil is a controversial ingredient. Producers claim that it is a healthy option because it contains mono-unsaturated fat and because it contains omega-3. Opponents argue that its relatively high content of the toxin, erucic acid may be a real cause for alarm. However, Natural Balance performs laboratory tests to identify this toxic substance.
Fruits and vegetables: Peas are a quality source of carbohydrates and they are rich in fiber. Some dogs may have some troubles in digesting peas and may present some intestinal problems. Alfalfa meal is high in plant protein and fiber.
Beet pulp is a controversial ingredient because it is a cheap filler. However it is exceptional for intestinal health and has blood sugar benefits. Beet pulp is not the only source of fiber in this food and is often found in many quality foods. When fed properly, is an ingredient that can be beneficial to dogs.
Vegetable pomace is a by-product of vegetables. This item contains the skins, pulp, seeds, and stems of the fruit. Vegetable pomace can be a controversial ingredient because some argue that it represents inexpensive pet food filler.
Potato starch is a binding agent in grain-free dry foods, without which the biscuits simply wouldn’t form. Many vet nutritionists still have doubts if dogs can digest significant amounts of starches competently.
Cranberries, blueberries, apples, zucchini and dried kelp are good sources of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and minerals.
Supplements: Inulin is a natural source of soluble fiber and a prebiotic used to support the growth of healthy bacteria. Chelated minerals are easier to absorb.
Yucca Schidigera Extract adds flavor and reduces stool smell.
This food does not contain artificial flavors, dyes or artificial preservatives.
Based on the ingredients included in NB Alpha Trout, Salmon Meal & Whitefish we give a 4.8 stars score.
Evaluating by its ingredients alone seems to be a highly recommended dry dog food.
Natural Balance Alpha Dog is a grain-free plant-based food using a moderate quantity of various named species as its major sources of animal protein.
Natural Balance Alpha Trout, Salmon Meal & Whitefish main benefits:
- Contains reasonable protein quantities (e.g. trout, white fish, chicken meal)
- Entirely grain free, including grain-free carbohydrate sources (e.g. garbanzo beans)
- Promotes healthy digestive tract (e.g. beet pulp, inulin)
- Complete and balanced diet for all life stages and all breeds
- Contains legume for supplying fibers
- Contains blueberries and apples for great taste and as antioxidants sources
- Uses human grade ingredients
- Manufacturer tests for toxic substances
The following table is a summary of the positive and controversial/negative ingredients found during the qualitative analysis of this dog food.
Natural Balance Alpha Trout, Salmon Meal & Whitefish
Available in: 5 lb (2,27 Kg); 12.5 lb ( 5,67 Kg); 25 lb (11,34 Kg)